Our Seymour, IN, Workers’ Comp Lawyers Help if You Are Injured on the Job
Workplace injuries are common and often serious, and if you have been injured on the job, the help of a Seymour, Indiana, workers’ compensation lawyer may make a major difference in the benefits you receive. Knowing what to say or do after an injury, how to fill out forms, and how to appeal denials is of vital importance in securing a favorable outcome and preventing mistakes that can result in rejection of your claim.
The Seymour, Indiana, worker’s compensation lawyers at Coriden Glover Law Firm can help make sure your worker’s compensation claim is handled properly from the start. We know how to deal with employers and insurance companies who want to deny your claim. We can help to clear up disputes and provide documentation to get your claim submitted properly and challenge initial benefit rejections you may have already received.
We offer a free consultation to examine the facts of your case and show you how we can help. Contact Coriden Glover today to talk to one of our team of workers’ compensation attorneys at 812-375-9800.
How a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Seymour, IN, Can Help
Understanding Indiana Workers’ Compensation
Workers’ Compensation is an insurance program intended to help people who have been injured on the job and their families. Indiana requires all employers to obtain workers’ compensation insurance to protect their employees from the first day on the job. Under the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act, you may receive medical, rehabilitation, and income benefits to help you return to work. There are also benefits to your dependents if you die from a job-related injury.
If you are injured on the job, you apply to the Workers’ Compensation Board, which will investigate and administer your claim. You are entitled to workers’ comp if:
- Your employer carries workers’ compensation insurance.
- You were injured while on the clock or doing something job-related.
- Your injuries were not caused by misconduct, such as working while impaired.
Despite your entitlement, employers and their insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible in workers’ compensation claims and will challenge them whenever possible. When a dispute occurs, you must build a case that shows that you are entitled to benefits. Since employers and insurance companies have their own lawyers, it makes sense for you to have an attorney to fight for your rights and justice.
A Seymour, IN, workers’ compensation lawyer can help all through the process to prove that an accidental injury occurred in the course and scope of your employment. This may include:
- Making sure your claims are filed properly and evidence is provided
- Supporting you through the Worker’s Compensation Board’s Informal Dispute Resolution process
- Representing you at hearings in front of single members or the full Worker’s Compensation Board
- Appealing your case at the state Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court of Indiana.
The workers’ compensation lawyers at the Coriden Glover law firm know Indiana’s workers’ compensation laws and will answer your questions and provide professional guidance and aggressive legal representation. We have helped thousands of others with their claims, and we can help you, too.
Call us today at 812-375-9800 to get started.
Seymour, IN, Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Explain Benefits and Steps to Get Them
Benefits You Can Receive
There are several factors that determine what benefits you may receive. These include:
- Your wages — payment typically includes two-thirds of your average weekly wage for the past 52 weeks, but not more than the statutory maximum outlined here.
- Medical expenses related to the injury, including hospital bills, prescription drug costs, rehabilitation and costs of travel to and from medical facilities.
- Whether you receive a permanent partial impairment rating (PPI), determined when there is a permanent injury.
If you are unable to do your previous job but are still able to do some work, you may be given a job with fewer physical demands. If that job pays less, you can still be paid partial benefits.
What to Do if Injured
If you are injured on the job, there are steps to take that can help your case. These include:
- Report any accident to your employer, boss, foreman, or supervisor immediately. If you wait more than 30 days, your claim may be denied.
- Notify your supervisor and employer so they know your injury is work-related.
- Get immediate medical treatment.
- Document everything related to the injury including:
- your symptoms
- notes on what your physicians and therapists are telling you
- your medications
- how the injury is impairing your life
- communications with your employer or its insurance carrier.
- Contact a Seymour, Indiana, workers’ compensation lawyer. Our Coriden Glover lawyers can help make sure you do not say or do anything that damages your case. We can make sure the employer and insurance company are following the law and not trying to take advantage of your ignorance of the system.
Workers’ Comp Lawsuits Against Seymour, IN, Employers
Employers are supposed to carry workers’ compensation, but not all of them do, and some try to get out of paying even if you are injured on the job. In certain situations, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit against an employer to get benefits. These include:
- No coverage – You may file a personal injury claim to receive compensation for your injuries.
- Denied coverage — Employers sometimes deny coverage, claiming you are an independent contractor and not an employee. You may file a lawsuit proving you have been misclassified and entitled to benefits, or you may be able to sue the employer in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Retaliation – If you were fired from a job because you filed for or received workers’ compensation benefits, you may be able to sue your former employer for damages.
Call a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Seymour, IN, for Help
If you have been injured on the job and are seeking workers’ compensation benefits, our Coriden Glover lawyers can help. We will fight for your benefits whether you work for a small employer or one of the large employers in Seymour, Indiana, including:
- Rose Acre Farms Inc
- Aisin Usa Mfg Inc
- Schneck Medical Ctr
- Valeo Sylvania Llc
- Walmart Distribution Ctr
- Pet Supplies Plus Distribution
- Cummins Industrial Ctr
- Walmart Supercenter.
We offer a free consultation to discuss the details of your case and show you how we can help. Don’t delay. Call a workers’ compensation attorney in Seymour, Indiana, today at 812-375-9800.
Attorney Terry Coriden
Terry Coriden practices workers’ compensation law as a Partner at Coriden & Coriden, LLC. His entire professional career as an attorney has been committed to workers’ compensation law and making a difference in his community. He is also highly experienced in mediation. Terry is a member and past president of the Bartholomew County Bar Association, a member of the Indiana State Bar Association, and a former board member of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF). [ Attorney Bio ]