Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board District 6

Our Worker’s Compensation Lawyers Are Here to Help You Get the Benefits You Deserve

If you’ve been injured on the job, you may be entitled to worker’s compensation benefits. Worker’s comp is an insurance program that is intended to provide medical, rehabilitation and income benefits for workplace-related injuries; but, too often, awards are disputed or denied altogether by employers and their insurance companies.

Worker’s comp premiums are paid by employers, and since premiums go up when benefits are paid out, employers often dispute claims to avoid paying. Worker’s compensation insurance companies are out for profit and also want to pay out as little as possible, and they have high-powered lawyers on their side, working to deny or dispute benefits. In addition, Indiana rules and procedures for getting worker’s comp are complicated, and making mistakes in filing your claim or saying or doing the wrong thing can result in your claim being rejected.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / Helen N. – Brownstown, In.

While working in Sales I suffered an accident on the job resulting in severe injuries. Being over 65 years of age and on Medicare, my situation was confusing and hard to understand. Tim Coriden was recommended to me. I found Tim and his wonderful staff great to work with and they took care of everything. Calling Tim Coriden is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Fortunately, you do not have to fight for a worker’s comp settlement alone. If you’ve been injured on the job, an experienced worker’s compensation lawyer serving those in Worker’s Compensation Board District 6 can help you get the benefits you deserve.

At Coriden & Coriden, our team of worker’s comp lawyers have helped many clients resolve disputes over worker’s compensation claims. When we handle your case, we make sure everything is done correctly and in a timely manner; and by providing additional information, we can often reverse initial benefit rejections and clear up misunderstandings and mistakes.

Protect yourself after a workplace injury — call Coriden & Coriden at 812-375-9800 as soon as possible to learn about worker’s compensation law, your rights, and the best way to proceed with getting the benefits you deserve.

We serve all cities within District 6, including:

How a Worker’s Compensation Lawyer in District 6, IN, Can Help You Get Benefits

Indiana law requires most businesses to have worker’s compensation insurance for their employees who are injured while working at their job. Workers are covered from the first day on the job.

To help you get benefits, our lawyers for District 6 worker’s comp can:

  • Make sure you know what to say and do after you are injured to meet Indiana requirements and prevent hurting your case
  • Ensure all claim forms are filled out correctly, in a timely manner
  • Investigate how the accident happened, interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence such as photos, videos, and work and medical records to help prove your claim
  • Dispute denials and negotiate with insurance companies for a fair settlement
  • Represent you at any hearings. Disputes not resolved through the Informal Dispute Resolution process require filing an Application for Adjustment of Claim (SF 29109) within two years of the date of injury. The case is then assigned to a Single Hearing Member of the Worker’s Compensation Board for determination of all unresolved issues.
  • Prepare your case and argue on your behalf if a claim goes to trial
  • Handle any appeals.

Worker’s Compensation Board District 6 Lawyer Knows the Benefits You May be Entitled to

Job-related injuries and occupational diseases do not just cause physical pain. They also cause financial pain. Most families have almost no savings. A few months without a paycheck, or even a few weeks without one, is often financially devastating. Furthermore, the medical bills in an injury-related matter often exceed $100,000. Most families cannot possibly pay these bills, especially if their primary, or only, income provider is unable to work.

Available worker’s compensation benefits address both these needs. Our District 6 worker’s compensation attorneys help ensure that you get the benefits you need and deserve.

Lost wage replacement is available. Most job injury victims receive two-thirds of their average weekly wage (AWW) for the duration of their temporary or permanent disabilities.

Scholastically, prior grades, and only prior grades, determine a student’s grade point average (GPA). The AWW is different. This figure is based on prior and future wages.

Temporary and permanent disabilities often overlap. Many injuries never fully heal. For example, if Alice breaks her shoulder at work, she may never regain full range of motion in that joint.

Worker’s compensation benefits also include reasonable medical bill payment. This comprehensive benefit includes:

  • Transportation expenses, like ambulance costs
  • Emergency care
  • Follow-up care
  • Medical devices
  • Prescription drugs
  • Physical or occupational therapy.

Insurance companies cannot dispute fault in these claims. However, they can and do dispute the amount of reasonably necessary medical bills.

Most insurance companies use boilerplate, one-size-fits-all figures. X injury in Y location means Z amount of medical bills. A worker’s compensation attorney in District 6 works to ensure that the insurance company pays what a doctor believes is necessary, not what an adjuster believes is necessary.

Indiana worker’s compensation insurance provides both medical and financial benefits to workers and to the family of a worker who is killed on the job.

Our Attorneys Serving Those in District 6 Answer Your Questions

It’s natural to have questions when dealing with a work injury. Here are some answers to questions our lawyers are often asked:

What Happens if My Claim is Disputed or Denied?

If your legitimate claim is disputed or denied, our worker’s comp attorneys in District 6, Indiana can fight for your rights. Depending on the individual circumstances of your case, we can:

  • Initiate an informal dispute by filing a Request for Assistance (State Form 45442) with the Workers’ Compensation Board of Indiana
  • Hire a mediator, a trained and neutral party who attempts to come to a resolution of disputed issues
  • File an Application for Adjustment of Claim (SF 29109) to schedule a formal hearing before a member of the Worker’s Compensation Board
  • Appeal a workers’ comp denial. Our attorneys would start by answering any objections and providing additional supporting medical documentation, or we can submit to an independent medical exam and file an appeal. If still denied, we would file an application for an adjustment to your claim with the Workers’ Compensation Board of Indiana for review to have the initial denial overturned. There can be a hearing before a board member; that outcome can be appealed to the full board; and that decision could be appealed to the Indiana appellate and supreme courts.

How Much Can I Get in a Worker’s Comp Settlement?

Worker’s compensation settlements vary significantly. The nature and extent of the medical disability may be the most important factor. Additionally, this D-word has more than medical implications. Certain injuries are more disabling to certain people. If Bill is a college professor, a permanent wrist injury may only be partially disabling. If Bill is a construction worker, such an injury is most likely permanently disabling.

Furthermore, some insurance companies bitterly contest almost every issue. Others are more willing to compromise.

Finally, a worker’s compensation attorney skills in District 6 come into play as well. Your attorney must be a good litigator and a good negotiator. Insurance companies are afraid to face good litigators, so they are more willing to settle claims on favorable terms. A good negotiator knows when to stand firm and when to compromise during settlement negotiations.

There are many factors that go into determining how much you will get for a worker’s compensation settlement, including the extent of your injuries, whether they are temporary or permanent, and what is provided under Indiana law.

In general, if you are unable to work for more than a week, you may receive compensation for your lost wages that is equal to two-thirds of your average weekly wages, plus payment for the costs of your medical care.

What industries are at highest risk for work-related injuries or illnesses?

Numerous industries carry a higher risk of work injury. If you were injured at work in District 6, Indiana while working in one of these industries or in any other sector, you are entitled to seek the full amount of worker’s compensation. The highest risk industries include:

  • Construction – The construction industry is one of the most dangerous in the United States, due to slips and falls, falling objects, electrocution and equipment-related accidents.
  • Transportation – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reports that the trucking and transportation industry sees a high rate of work-related fatalities.
  • Healthcare – According to OSHA, hospitals are one of the most hazardous places to work, due to exposure to infectious diseases, hazardous materials, repetitive motions, and having to manually lift patients.

What are the most common work injuries?

Worker’s compensation benefits apply to work-related trauma injuries and occupational diseases.

Falls are the most common work-related trauma injuries. These incidents often cause head injuries, broken bones, and other serious physical wounds. The emotional wounds are almost as serious, especially if the job injury victim is over 50. Frequently, these people are deathly afraid of falling again.

Hearing loss is the most common occupational disease. Sounds as low as 35 decibels, which is basically a lawnmower engine, could cause permanent hearing loss. These victims rarely get prompt medical treatment. The longer the treatment delay, the more limited, and more expensive, treatment options become.

What if my employer does not have worker’s comp insurance?

A small number of employers are “self-insured,” because they received approval from the Worker’s Compensation Board to pay claims out of their own funds. If your employer does not have insurance and you are injured on the job, you may be able to bring a lawsuit for personal injury against your employer. Talk to our attorneys to see if this is possible.

When You Can Go Beyond a Worke’s Comp Settlement

The Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act does not provide compensation for non-economic damages, such as for pain and suffering, and does not fully reimburse lost wages. However, there are situations where you may be entitled to file a separate personal injury lawsuit and receive additional compensation. Damage awards for pain and suffering are determined by a jury based on the severity of the injuries and may be substantial.

Examples of these situations include:

  • When a third party’s negligence or wrongdoing caused your injuries, such as if an outside contractor caused a vehicle crash while you were working on the job
  • If your employer does not subscribe to worker’s compensation, or if you are considered to be an independent contractor.

In addition, you may also file a lawsuit for:

  • Denied coverage – If employers deny coverage, claiming you are an independent contractor, and this is a misclassification
  • Retaliation – If you were fired from a job because you filed for or received worker’s compensation benefits.
  • If you feel that you are entitled to compensation above and beyond what the worker’s comp claim pays out, you should certainly contact a lawyer to help you figure out what you can file and help you build a case that is going to be successful.

Get Help from a Worker’s Compensation Attorney in District 6, IN

No matter what the cause of your work-related injury or illness, the compassionate lawyers at Coriden & Coriden in District 6, Indiana, are here to help you get the benefits you deserve. Let us take care of all the paperwork, deadlines, documentation, legal requirements and appeals, so you can focus on your recovery.

Call an experienced lawyer for District 6 worker’s compensation cases at Coriden & Coriden today at 812-375-9800 to get started.

Attorney Terry Coriden

Terry Coriden practices worker’s compensation law as a Partner at Coriden & Coriden, LLC. His entire professional career as an attorney has been committed to worker’s compensation law and making a difference in his community. He is also highly experienced in mediation. Terry is a member and past president of the Bartholomew County Bar Association, a member of the Indiana State Bar Association, and a former board member of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF). [ Attorney Bio ]