North Vernon Workers’ Comp Lawyer
North Vernon, IN, Workers’ Comp Lawyers can help you. The town of North Vernon, located in Jennings County, Indiana, is home to a host of businesses that employ thousands. With so many people hard at work, it’s not surprising that workplace-related injuries occur.
Working with North Vernon, IN, Workers’ Comp Lawyers
Have you sustained a job-related injury? If so, consider contacting one of North Vernon, IN, workers’ comp lawyers. At Coriden Glover, our attorneys are experienced in handling workers’ comp cases in Indiana. Our in-depth understanding of the law allows us to guide you through the complex processes that often surround workplace injuries and workers’ compensation claims and cases. Call our team today at 812-375-9800.
What is Workers’ Compensation?
Worker’s compensation is insurance designed to provide you, the employee, with benefits to pay your medical bills and your salary should you be injured while on the job. It also financially protects family members of those who lose their lives due to workplace accidents.
While businesses today are far safer than they were years ago, and injury rates have dropped over time, accidents still happen.
According to the Survey of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses (SOII) conducted by the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), “82,900 Hoosier workers experienced a nonfatal OSHA recordable injury or illness in 2019.”
These injuries often require medical treatment and result in the inability to work. The funds received from workers’ compensation are often much needed to pay medical bills and living expenses. A North Vernon, IN, workers’ comp lawyer can help ensure that you receive all appropriate funds.
Your Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in North Vernon, IN, Will Make Life Easier
On the surface, it seems as if applying for and collecting workers’ compensation should be a simple process. In fact, many believe all they need to do is complete some forms and they will automatically receive what they are rightly due. Unfortunately, more often than not, this is not the case. The application and approval process can be complex and filled with roadblocks.
Understanding Your Benefits
It is important to understand the benefits to which you may be entitled. Help from a workers’ comp lawyer at Coriden Glover will simplify this process, alleviate the stress, and ensure that you receive all of the benefits you deserve. These can include:
- Medical Benefits: These benefits are designed to compensate you for the cost of all medical treatment necessary as a result of your workplace injury. Eligible expenses can include doctor and hospital visits, necessary physical therapy, and medication. In some cases, based on specific conditions, you may be able to recover some medical-related travel expenses. Your North Vernon workers’ comp attorney can help determine whether you are eligible.
- Wage Benefits: If you are unable to work because of the injury you sustained, you may be able to collect wage benefits to compensate for your inability to earn a living. The amount for which you are eligible will, of course, take into account your salary. That said, the State of Indiana does have a cap on disability benefits.
- Death Benefits: Unfortunately, sometimes those who suffer workplace injuries die. If this is the case, you (as next of kin) may be entitled to death benefits which also include a funeral expense allowance.
Managing the Process with a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in North Vernon, IN
Multiple involved parties, complicated paperwork, and an abundance of technical language make the workers’ comp process confusing. Each and every situation is unique; specific factors affect what you need to do as well as what you may be entitled to receive. If you are injured at work, contact a North Vernon workers’ compensation lawyer, and complete these five steps, as necessary.
- Seek Medical Attention: As in every situation, taking care of yourself is your first priority. This may necessitate an immediate trip to an emergency room or a visit to a doctor.
In an emergency, you would clearly visit the closest professional. However, it is important to understand that your employer can require you to use a physician affiliated with their insurance plan. All physicians should be informed that the injury for which you are being treated is a result of an accident at your place of business.
- Inform Your Employer and Confirm All Paperwork is Complete: This step is critical. You must let your employer know if you are injured at work. In turn, they should complete documentation for the insurance company.
Make sure you communicate with them, both verbally and in writing, within 30 days of your accident. Delaying further could result in your insurance claim being denied. Additionally, your employer must submit the Indiana Workers’ Compensation First Report of Employee Injury, Illness (State Form 34401) within 7 days of when you notified them. Don’t forget to request a copy of this form.
- Participate in the Review: Workers’ compensation claims in North Vernon require that the insurance company file a report with the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board. The subsequent investigation may include an interview with an investigator, inquiries into your social media, and even possibly an examination by an independent physician to confirm your injuries and prognosis.
Your North Vernon workers’ compensation attorney will guide you through this process. We will offer advice and counsel throughout the review, so that you provide appropriate access to information when required and preventing the investigator from accessing records which he or she has no right to review.
- Review the Decision: Within 29 days you can expect a decision on your claim. If you are satisfied, then you can accept the award. However, if your claim has been denied, or if you did not receive the benefits to which you believe you are entitled, you can appeal.
Your North Vernon attorney can communicate with the insurance company on your behalf to try and resolve the issue. If this is unsuccessful, he or she can research further settlement options.
- Request a Hearing: Should you still not be successful in obtaining an acceptable settlement, you can request an official hearing. You must file specific forms (an Application of Adjustment) with the state Worker’s Comp Board within two years from your accident. Your North Vernon workers’ compensation attorney will represent you at this hearing.
What Constitutes a Workers’ Compensation Injury?
North Vernon, Indiana, is home to over 1,400 businesses, everything from builders and contractors to retailers and restaurants. Unsurprisingly, workplace accidents and injuries are simply a fact of life.
The type of injuries that can occur in the workplace is diverse. Accidents like falling off a ladder in a home renovation or being struck by heavy equipment on a construction site immediately come to mind when workers’ compensation is mentioned.
That said, there are a host of incidents that can cause injuries that may require medical attention and result in the inability to work. These include, but are not limited to, repetitive motion injuries from tasks like data input or hammering (resulting in carpal tunnel), slips or falls that cause fractures or sprains, automobile accidents resulting in a range of injuries, and even overexertion resulting from moving heavy objects.
Coriden Glover, LLC – Your North Vernon, IN, Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
If you live or work in North Vernon and are injured on the job, contact Coriden Glover, your North Vernon, IN, workers’ compensation lawyer, today at 812-375-9800. Our professionals are experts in Indiana workers’ compensation law and have been serving the community for over 40 years.
We understand all aspects of workers’ compensation law in Indiana and are experienced in working with the State’s Worker’s Comp Board. We can assist you in rectifying everything from simple mistakes to strong-willed resistance.
If you have been injured at work, we can help you recover what is rightly yours. Let us guide you through this often complicated and frustrating process. We will serve as your representative and manage the entire process, leaving you to focus on your recovery.
Attorney Tim Coriden
Attorney Tim Coriden is a Partner with Coriden & Coriden, LLC and concentrates his practice in the areas of Worker’s Compensation and Civil Litigation. Tim represents clients from Indiana and other states, advocating on their behalf in disputed claims and threatened or pending litigation. Mr. Coriden has successfully served as counsel in dozens of jury trials and administrative hearings throughout Indiana. Tim routinely advises both clients and attorneys alike on the rights and remedies bestowed upon injured workers within the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act. [ Attorney Bio ]