Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board District 3

Our Worker’s Compensation Lawyers Are Here to Help You Get the Benefits You Deserve

If you’ve been injured on the job, you may be entitled to worker’s compensation benefits. Worker’s comp is an insurance program that provides medical, rehabilitation and income benefits for workplace-related injuries; but, too often, awards are disputed or denied altogether by employers and their insurance companies.

Worker’s comp premiums are paid by employers, and since premiums go up when benefits are paid out, employers often dispute claims to avoid paying. Worker’s compensation insurance companies are out for profit and also want to pay out as little as possible, and they have high-powered lawyers on their side, working to deny or dispute benefits. In addition, Indiana rules and procedures for getting worker’s comp are complicated, and making mistakes in filing your claim or saying or doing the wrong thing can result in your claim being rejected.

Fortunately, you do not have to fight for a worker’s comp settlement alone. If you’ve been injured on the job, an experienced lawyer serving Indiana Worker’s Compensation District 3 can help you get the benefits you deserve.

At Coriden & Coriden, our team of worker’s comp lawyers has helped many clients resolve disputes over worker’s compensation claims. When we handle your case, we make sure everything is done correctly and in a timely manner; and by providing additional information, we can often reverse initial benefit rejections and clear up misunderstandings and mistakes.

Protect yourself after a workplace injury — call Coriden & Coriden at 812-375-9800 as soon as possible to learn about worker’s compensation laws, your rights, and the best way to proceed with getting the benefits you deserve.

How a Lawyer Serving Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board District 3 Can Help You Get Benefits

Indiana law requires most businesses to have worker’s compensation insurance for their employees who are injured while working at their job. Workers are covered from the first day on the job.

To help you get benefits, our lawyers serving Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board District 3 can:

  • Make sure you know what to say and do after you are injured to meet Indiana requirements and prevent hurting your case
  • Ensure all claim forms are filled out correctly and in a timely manner
  • Investigate how the accident happened, interview witnesses and gather evidence, such as photos, videos, work and medical records, to help prove your claim
  • Dispute denials and negotiate with insurance companies for a fair settlement
  • Represent you at any hearings. Disputes not resolved through the Informal Dispute Resolution process require filing an Application for Adjustment of Claim (SF 29109) within two years of the date of injury. The case is then assigned to a Single Hearing Member of the Worker’s Compensation Board for determination of all unresolved issues.
  • Prepare your case and argue on your behalf if a claim proceeds to a hearing.
  • Handle any appeals.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / Tom R. – Kokomo, In.

Fortunately we were referred to Tim Coriden. From the very first phone consultation I knew we were in great hands!! My injuries were severe, and we wanted to make sure we had the right worker’s compensation attorney. You have our word it’s the best call you make!! My wife and I are truly grateful for Tim, Emily and all the staff! You will always remain part of our family.

Our Lawyers Serving Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board District 3 Know the Benefits You May be Entitled to

A little over a hundred years ago, workers agreed to give up their rights to file work-related injury claims in civil court if management provided a no-fault compensation system that compensated job injury victims for their economic losses. State-administered workers’ compensation systems arose from this Grand Bargain.

All these years later, available benefits are basically the same, at least theoretically. The two major categories are:

  • Lost Wage Replacement: Temporarily disabled victims usually receive two-thirds of their Average Weekly Wage until their doctors clear them for full-time work. AWW calculations aren’t always straightforward. The Average Weekly Wage not only includes regular cash compensation. It also includes irregular and non-cash compensation, like overtime opportunities and expense reimbursement.
  • Medical Bill Payment: This category usually includes all reasonably necessary medical bills, from the first moment of emergency care to the last day of physical therapy. Usually, the insurance company pays these bills directly, and victims never see a statement. If the insurance company drags its feet, as is often the case, an Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board District 3 lawyer can usually connect victims with doctors who charge nothing upfront for their services.

Compensation categories have not changed, but the available amount has changed. Since the early 2010s, lost wage replacement,maximum medical improvement benefits, and medical bill payment benefits have both declined significantly. Less money in the system is one reason why. Recently, Indiana lawmakers have tried to lure new businesses to the state by lowering workers’ compensation insurance premiums.

Additionally, the system has changed. Once upon a time, workers’ compensation sped financial relief to the injured workers that needed it. Today, workers’ compensation is a bloated bureaucracy dominated by insurance company interests.

In this environment, a partnership with a lawyer serving Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board District 3 is the best way, and frequently the only way, to quickly get a fair-sized piece of a shrinking financial pie.

To get benefits, you must meet certain requirements:

  • You must be a covered employee. Indiana law requires employers to purchase worker’s compensation insurance for all employees, including temporary employees and minors.
  • Your injury or illness must have resulted from employment-related tasks.
  • You must notify your employer as soon as possible after you’ve been injured, and within 30 days of the injury, or your claim may be denied.
  • You should let your employer know about your injury before seeking medical care, unless the injury is serious, in which case you should get treatment immediately.
  • You must file all required forms, which can be found on the Indiana worker’s compensation website, within required time frames.

As a general rule, you will be able to collect worker’s compensation benefits until you are able to go back to work or reach age 65 if you are permanently disabled.

When our Coriden & Coriden lawyers handle your case, we will work to make sure you receive all benefits you are entitled to.

Our Attorneys Serving Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board District 3 Answer Your Questions

It’s natural to have questions when dealing with a work injury. Here are some answers to questions our lawyers are often asked:

What Happens if My Claim is Disputed or Denied?

If your legitimate claim is disputed or denied, our experienced attorneys for Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board District 3 can fight for your rights. Depending on the individual circumstances of your case, we can:

  • Initiate an informal dispute by filing a Request for Assistance (State Form 45442) with the Worker’s Compensation Board of Indiana
  • Hire a mediator, a trained and neutral party who attempts to come to a resolution of disputed issues
  • File an Application for Adjustment of Claim (SF 29109) to schedule a formal hearing before a member of the Worker’s Compensation Board
  • Appeal a worker’s comp denial. Our attorneys would start by answering any objections and providing additional supporting medical documentation, or we can submit to an independent medical exam and file an appeal. If still denied, we would file an application for an adjustment to your claim with the Worker’s Compensation Board of Indiana for review to have the initial denial overturned. There can be a hearing before a board member; that outcome can be appealed to the full board; and that decision could be appealed to the Indiana appellate and supreme courts.

How Much Can I Get in a Worker’s Comp Settlement?

There are many factors that go into determining how much you will get for a worker’s compensation settlement, including the extent of your injuries, whether they are temporary or permanent, and what is provided under Indiana law.

In general, if you are unable to work for more than a week, you may receive compensation for your lost wages that is equal to two-thirds of your average weekly wages, plus payment for the costs of your medical care.

What industries are at highest risk for work-related injuries or illnesses?

Numerous industries carry a higher risk of work injury. If you were injured at work in Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board District 3 while working in one of these industries or in any other sector, you are entitled to seek the full amount of worker’s compensation. The highest risk industries include:

  • Construction – The construction industry is one of the most dangerous occupations in the United States, due to slips and falls, falling objects, electrocution and equipment-related accidents.
  • Transportation – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reports that the trucking and transportation industry sees a high rate of work-related fatalities.
  • Healthcare – According to OSHA, hospitals are one of the most hazardous places to work, due to exposure to infectious diseases, hazardous materials, repetitive motions, and from manually lifting patients. If you work at facilities near Scottsburg such as Frazier Rehab Institute, Scott Memorial Hospital, Schneck Medical Center, Medical Center of Southern Indiana, Baptist Health Floyd, or Clark Memorial Hospital, you may be facing a significantly higher risk.

What are the most common work injuries?

On-the-job injuries are not limited to the aforementioned industries. They can happen to any worker at any time. The two main types of work-related injuries are:

  • Trauma injuries, like falls, and
  • Occupational diseases, like hearing loss.

Trauma injuries happen suddenly and without warning. Usually, these victims are able to work again after their temporary disabilities heal. Frequently, however, there’s a permanent injury, like limited range of motion in a broken shoulder. These victims are usually entitled to compensation for not only past lost wages and medical bills, but for future losses as well.

Occupational disease claims are often complex. Most victims don’t immediately see doctors. So, by the time their injuries become apparent, the claims deadline has passed. A variation of the delayed discovery rule usually protects victims in these situations. Additionally, a non-work-related or pre-existing medical condition often contributes to the injury. Usually, maximum compensation is still available in these cases.

What if my employer does not have workers’ comp insurance?

A small number of employers are “self-insured,” because they received approval from the Workers’ Compensation Board to pay claims out of their own funds. If your employer does not have insurance and you are injured on the job, you may be able to bring a lawsuit for personal injury against your employer. Talk to our attorneys to see if this is possible.

When You Can Go Beyond a Workers’ Comp Settlement

The Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act does not provide compensation for non-economic damages, such as for pain and suffering, and does not fully reimburse lost wages. However, there are situations where you may be entitled to file a separate personal injury lawsuit and receive additional compensation. Damage awards for pain and suffering are determined by a jury based on the severity of the injuries and may be substantial.

Examples of these situations include:

  • When a third party’s negligence or wrongdoing caused your injuries, such as if an outside contractor caused a vehicle crash while you were working on the job
  • If your employer does not subscribe to workers’ compensation, or if you are considered to be an independent contractor.

In addition, you may also file a lawsuit for:

  • Denied coverage – If employers deny coverage, claiming you are an independent contractor, and this is a misclassification
  • Retaliation – If you were fired from a job because you filed for or received workers’ compensation benefits.

Get Help from an Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board District 3 Attorney

No matter what the cause of your work-related injury or illness, the compassionate lawyers at Coriden & Coriden are here to help you get the benefits you deserve. Let us take care of all the paperwork, deadlines, documentation, legal requirements and appeals, so you can focus on your recovery.

Call an Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board District 3 lawyer at Coriden & Coriden, LLC today at 812-375-9800 to get started.

Attorney Terry Coriden

Terry Coriden practices worker’s compensation law as a Partner at Coriden & Coriden, LLC. His entire professional career as an attorney has been committed to worker’s compensation law and making a difference in his community. He is also highly experienced in mediation. Terry is a member and past president of the Bartholomew County Bar Association, a member of the Indiana State Bar Association, and a former board member of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF). [ Attorney Bio ]