District 5 Indiana Worker’s Compensation Attorneys

Our Worker’s Compensation Lawyers Are Here to Help You Get The Benefits You Deserve

If you’ve been injured on the job, you may be entitled to worker’s compensation benefits. Workers’ comp is an insurance program that is intended to provide medical, rehabilitation and income benefits for workplace-related injuries; but, too often, awards are disputed or denied altogether by employers and their insurance companies.

Worker’s comp premiums are paid by employers, and since premiums go up when benefits are paid out, employers often dispute claims to avoid paying. Worker’s compensation insurance companies are out for profit and also want to pay out as little as possible, and they have high-powered lawyers on their side, working to deny or dispute benefits. In addition, Indiana rules and procedures for getting workers’ comp are complicated. Making mistakes in filing your claim or saying or doing the wrong thing can result in your claim being rejected.

Fortunately, you do not have to fight for a worker’s comp settlement alone. If you’ve been injured on the job, an experienced worker’s compensation lawyer in District 5, Indiana can help you get the benefits you deserve.

At Coriden & Coriden, our team of worker’s comp lawyers has helped many clients resolve disputes over worker’s compensation claims. When we handle your case, we make sure everything is done correctly and in a timely manner; and by providing additional information, we can often reverse initial benefit rejections and clear up misunderstandings and mistakes.

Protect yourself after a workplace injury — call Coriden & Coriden at 812-375-9800 as soon as possible to learn about worker’s compensation law, your rights, and the best way to proceed with getting the benefits you deserve.

How a Worker’s Compensation Lawyer in District 5, IN, Helps You Get Benefits

Indiana law requires most businesses to have worker’s compensation insurance for their employees who are injured while working at their job. Worker’s are covered from the first day on the job.

To help you get benefits, our worker’s comp lawyers serving those in District 5 can:

  • Make sure you know what to say and do after you are injured to meet Indiana requirements and prevent hurting your case
  • Ensure all claim forms are filled out correctly, in a timely manner
  • Investigate how the accident happened, interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence such as photos, videos, and work and medical records to help prove your claim
  • Dispute denials and negotiate with insurance companies for a fair settlement
  • Represent you at any hearings. Disputes not resolved through the Informal Dispute Resolution process require filing an Application for Adjustment of Claim (SF 29109) within two years of the date of injury. The case is then assigned to a Single Hearing Member of the Workers’ Compensation Board for determination of all unresolved issues.
  • Prepare your case and argue on your behalf if a claim goes to trial
  • Handle any appeals.

Our Lawyers Serving Those in District 5, Indiana, Worker’s Compensation Know the Benefits You May be Entitled To

to workers and to the family of a worker who is killed on the job, ensuring MMI (Maximum Medical Improvement) is achieved whenever possible.

To get benefits, you must meet certain requirements:

  • You must be a covered employee. Indiana law requires employers to purchase worker’s compensation insurance for all employees, including temporary employees and minors.
  • Your injury or illness must have resulted from employment-related tasks.
  • You must notify your employer as soon as possible after you’ve been injured, and within 30 days of the injury, or your claim may be denied.
  • You should let your employer know about your injury before seeking medical care, unless the injury is serious, in which case you should get treatment immediately.
  • You must file all required forms within the required timeframes; these can be found on the Indiana worker’s compensation website.

In a successful worker’s comp claim, benefits should cover some of your income while you are unable to work, in addition to the medical costs that result from your work injury. Benefits may include:

  • Two-thirds your average weekly wage during the time that you are found unable to work by the insurance company’s authorized physician. This is not to exceed $600 per week, if you are considered temporarily totally disabled — meaning you are currently unable to work but are expected to recover enough to return to work. Permanently disabled individuals not expected to return to work may collect a larger portion of prior weekly earnings, and the percentage may increase with the severity of the injury.
  • Payment for permanent partial impairment, or a partial disability classified by the insurance company’s authorized physician.
  • Payment of medical expenses to physicians authorized by the insurance company, and reimbursement of related out-of-pocket expenses, hospital bills, co-pays, the costs of prescription medicines, rehabilitation services, physical or occupational therapy, and transportation costs to and from your doctor visits.
  • Retraining benefits for new jobs if employees are unable to return to their previous position.
  • Beneficiary expenses for funeral and burial expenses to beneficiaries of an employee who dies as the result of work-related illness or injury.

As a general rule, you will be able to collect workers’ compensation benefits until you are able to go back to work or reach age 65 if you are permanently disabled.

When our Coriden & Coriden lawyers handle your case, we will work to make sure you receive all benefits you are entitled to.

Our Attorneys for District 5 Workers’ Comp Answer Your Questions

It’s natural to have questions when dealing with a work injury. Here are some answers to questions our lawyers are often asked:

What Happens if My Claim is Disputed or Denied?

If your legitimate claim is disputed or denied, our workers’ comp attorneys in District 5, Indiana can fight for your rights. Depending on the individual circumstances of your case, we can:

  • Initiate an informal dispute by filing a Request for Assistance (State Form 45442) with the Workers’ Compensation Board of Indiana
  • Hire a mediator, a trained and neutral party who attempts to come to a resolution of disputed issues
  • File an Application for Adjustment of Claim (SF 29109) to schedule a formal hearing before a member of the Workers’ Compensation Board
  • Appeal a workers’ comp denial. Our attorneys would start by answering any objections and providing additional supporting medical documentation, or we can submit to an independent medical exam and file an appeal. If still denied, we would file an application for an adjustment to your claim with the Workers’ Compensation Board of Indiana for review to have the initial denial overturned. There can be a hearing before a board member; that outcome can be appealed to the full board; and that decision could be appealed to the Indiana appellate and supreme courts.

How Much Can I Get in a Workers’ Comp Settlement?

There are many factors that go into determining how much you will get for a workers’ compensation settlement, including the extent of your injuries, whether they are temporary or permanent, and what is provided under Indiana law.

In general, if you are unable to work for more than a week, you may receive compensation for your lost wages that is equal to two-thirds of your average weekly wages, plus payment for the costs of your medical care.

What industries are at highest risk for work-related injuries or illnesses?

Numerous industries carry a higher risk of work injury. If you were injured at work in District 5, Indiana while working in one of these industries or in any other sector, you are entitled to seek the full amount of workers’ compensation. The highest risk industries include:

  • Construction – The construction industry is one of the most dangerous in the United States, due to slips and falls, falling objects, electrocution and equipment-related accidents.
  • Transportation – The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reports that the trucking and transportation industry sees a high rate of work-related fatalities.
  • Healthcare – According to OSHA, hospitals are one of the most hazardous places to work, due to exposure to infectious diseases, hazardous materials, repetitive motions, and having to manually lift patients.

So, if you work at facilities in District 5 such as Deaconess Health System, Toyota Motor Manufacturing, and Ascension St. Vincent Health System in Evansville, Sabic Innovative Plastics, Astrazeneca, and WSI in Mt. Vernon, or Baptist Memorial Hospital, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, and Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation in Boonville, you may be facing a significantly higher risk.

What are the most common work injuries?

In general, all workplace injuries are either trauma injuries, which occur suddenly and without warning, or occupational diseases, which occur gradually over time. Some specific examples include:

  • Falls: More work days are lost to falls than any other kind of injury. A fall from as little as four stories above ground is normally fatal. Slip-and-fall injuries are especially serious for people with pre-existing conditions. These serious injuries include broken bones and head injuries.
  • Repetitive Stress Injuries: Manual laborers often have issues with knee, ankle, thigh, and other joint pain, since they spend so much time bending, kneeling, and stooping. Office workers often have issues with computer vision syndrome and carpal tunnel syndrome. Usually, complete rest is the only effective treatment for these occupational diseases.
  • Assaults: Frequently, employers don’t intervene to break up petty disputes between workers before these disputes become violent. A related cause is hiring individuals with questionable backgrounds or combustible personalities. Worker’s comp also usually covers third-party assaults, as long as the incident occurred on work property.
  • Hearing Loss: This condition affects about eight million Americans. The physical problems are just the beginning. Hearing gloss has emotional effects as well. Frequently, these victims withdraw from family and friends. If doctors don’t catch it early, hearing loss is very difficult to treat.

A pre-existing or non-work condition often affects the severity of the trauma injury or occupational disease. Usually, a District 5 worker’s comp attorney can obtain maximum benefits in these cases. Typically, insurance companies cannot use a victim’s vulnerabilities as an excuse to reduce or deny worker’s comp benefits.

What if my employer does not have worker’s comp insurance?

Usually, the law requires employers to carry worker’s comp insurance. Many companies ignore this requirement. Since the penalty for not having insurance is typically just a fine, and the chances of being caught are remote, many companies figure it’s worth the risk. Other companies lie to their insurance carriers about matters like payroll size or number of employees. When insurance companies discover these lies, they immediately deny coverage.

Indiana law protects injured workers in these situations. These victims can usually file injury claims in civil court. Moreover, the law generally prohibits these employers from using certain “silver bullet” negligence defenses, like comparative fault and assumption of the risk. Therefore, it’s easier to prove negligence, or a lack of care. If the victim/plaintiff prevails, the employer must not only pay economic damages, like lost wages and medical expenses. The employer is also responsible for emotional distress and other noneconomic damages.

When You Can Go Beyond a Worker’s Comp Settlement

The Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act does not provide compensation for non-economic damages, such as for pain and suffering, and does not fully reimburse lost wages. However, there are situations where you may be entitled to file a separate personal injury lawsuit and receive additional compensation. Damage awards for pain and suffering are determined by a jury based on the severity of the injuries and may be substantial.

Examples of these situations include:

  • When a third party’s negligence or wrongdoing caused your injuries, such as if an outside contractor caused a vehicle crash while you were working on the job
  • If your employer does not subscribe to worker’s compensation, or if you are considered to be an independent contractor.

In addition, you may also file a lawsuit for:

  • Denied coverage – If employers deny coverage, claiming you are an independent contractor, and this is a misclassification
  • Retaliation – If you were fired from a job because you filed for or received worker’s compensation benefits.
  • If you feel that you are entitled to compensation above and beyond what the worker’s comp claim pays out, you should certainly contact a lawyer to help you figure out what you can file and help you build a case that is going to be successful.

Get Help from a Worker’s Compensation Attorney in District 5, IN

No matter what the cause of your work-related injury or illness, the compassionate work injury lawyers at Coriden & Coriden in District 5, Indiana, are here to help you get the benefits you deserve. Let us take care of all the paperwork, deadlines, documentation, legal requirements and appeals, so you can focus on your recovery.

Call a District 5 worker’s compensation lawyer at Coriden & Coriden today at 812-375-9800 to get started.

Attorney Terry Coriden

Terry Coriden practices worker’s compensation law as a Partner at Coriden & Coriden, LLC. His entire professional career as an attorney has been committed to worker’s compensation law and making a difference in his community. He is also highly experienced in mediation. Terry is a member and past president of the Bartholomew County Bar Association, a member of the Indiana State Bar Association, and a former board member of the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF). [ Attorney Bio ]